Friday, October 06, 2006

D.O.A.P. Follow-Up

Well, I guess I have my answer to the question I asked a month ago, whether the movie "Death of A President" would be censored in this country. I just read that several major movie chains are refusing to show the movie due to its controversial content. Looks like the U.S. has more in common with Pakistan, China, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt than I previously thought. And Americans have much more in common with fundamentalist Muslims who don't like cartoons or movies that depict the prophet Mohammed in a negative light. Indeed, we won't even show a movie that offends the Presidency and our sense of decency, let alone the beliefs and figurehead of one of the world's great religions.

Can we now please have a 5-minute moratorium on people saying how "free" and "tolerant" we are in this country?

Fortunately, I am lucky enough to live in the Independent Megalopolis of New York City, where "freedom" is NOT just a word for nothin' left to lose. I am sure that at least one "alternative" theater here -- i.e., the Angelika -- will carry this movie. But what of my brethren in the Midwest? And in the South? Will anybody in Texas get to see it? Idontthinkso.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bloggy,

Have no fear, your moral compass the great Michael Moore and the rest of the Hollywood Moral Majority will raise such a storm, that your midwestern brethren will get to see this classic flick.

And oh by the way, going back to the previous edition, you'll get first prize in the ND Brady Quinn sweepstakes. Love those intials.

Later,

A

Tim said...

Bloggy,

I have my own moral compass, thankyouverymuch. I don't follow Hollywood, the Religious Right, or any organized religion for that matter.

Putting this aside, we'll see if Hollywood is more powerful than the corporatocracy that runs this country. I tend to doubt it.

I don't know much about Brady Quinn, but I doubt he can solve all the Raiders' problems. Can he play the offensive line too?

And why do you love those initials? I like riddles, but it's the weekend, so humor me.