Sunday, May 13, 2007

Don't Call It A Comeback


Okay, so the Sox are losing 5-0 in the bottom of the 9th inning. They are three outs away from losing the game. I, of course, shut off the MLB.COM simulcast in the 8th inning when it became clear to me that the game was over. I mean, c'mon, 5-0, it's over, right? Are you with me? You don't come back from that in your last at-bat.

Nay Nay, good sir. The Red Sox scored six -- count 'em, six -- runs in the bottom of the 9th to steal this game from the sad, truly sad, Baltimore Orioles. An Ortiz double, a clutch Varitek single with two outs, and a couple of helpful bloopers by Baltimore turned the game Boston's way. You don't see a six run, 9th inning comeback every day people, and I feel this magic moment in the 2007 baseball season warranted a mention right here, right now.

The cherry on the cake? The Yankees lost 2-1 to Seattle with Pettite pitching. They're now 8 games out and two games under .500.

Can-I-getta WOT WOT?!

Detroit's coming to town next. Time to take them to the woodshed and give them the beat-down they've been waiting for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

uh... this wouldn't be the first time that you turned off your favorite team after having written them off. -I am remembering a very important playoff game when SOMEONE went to bed and woke up to a zillion people calling him to let hime know that the Redsox's made a big comeback! - Those of us who are Met's fans always believe. We never turn off or give up our team as long as there is at least one out left. Need I mention one Bill Bruckner? :)

Tim said...

Is that Bill BRuckner, as in the Bruckner Expressway?

I remember the game you're referring to, and yes, perhaps I was curled up in a fetal position that evening with my thumb in my mouth crying about the Yankees' impending sweep of the Red Sox in the 2004 playoffs. But that's not what happened, is it? No, it's not. And I will have you know that I watched every inning of every game thereafter, Smokie.