Sunday, November 04, 2007

NYC Marathon 2007


Whew, am I tired! My legs and back are killing me. Where is that Ben Gay? No, I didn't run the marathon today. Oh heavens no! No, I did something mmmm, almost as physically demanding as running 26.4 miles in shorty shorts and a t-shirt. See, I spent three and a half hours this Sunday morning -- hours that I would normally be sleeping -- on my feet, watching, clapping, and whooping for marathoners. Do you know how exhausting it is to be on your feet for that long, to whoop for hours on end? Let me tell you, it puts an incredible the strain on the lumbars and thoracics. And the metatarsals too. Marathon schmarathon. Those runners had nothing on me today. I'm gonna schedule me a massage this week, I deserve it.

I really gotta tellya though, it was a lot of fun going out there and cheering for the runners. A lot of fun. It was almost worth my rousting my ass out of bed at the ungodly hour of 7:30 a.m. on a Sunday. (A Sunday!) I haven't been up this early on a Sunday for non-sexual purposes in like 20 years. (Thank you daylight savings time.) To my surprise, once I got outside and strolled down Bedford, it was quite the festive scene. I don't know what they do on the other parts of the marathon route, but here on Miles 11 and 12, on Bedford Avenue in Williamsburg -- Williamsburg, BROOKLYN -- we F'N ROCK, man! We have live bands. We have a DJ. We even have loudspeakers playing the musical stylings of Bruce Springsteen (Born to Run), Vangelis (The Chariots of Fire theme song), Player (Baby Come Back), The Dave Matthews Band (Ants Marching), Ray Charles (Hit the Road Jack) and other witty, running-related hits. You just TRY and beat that! I dare you.

When I wasn't taking pictures, which was my real reason for getting up early, I was cheering and clapping for those sweaty, sorry souls who passed by me on the Road to Pain. My loudest whoops were reserved for: (a) attractive women, of which there were quite a few (I wish I didn't hate running so much or I'd join a runner's group. Food for thought: how much do I really hate pounding the pavement with my aforementioned metatarsals? Mightn't it be worth the pain to meet a toned and trimmed lovely? Hmmm? Hmmm?); (b) anyone with an "Italia" jersey on -- I couldn't believe how many Eyetalians I saw. Frenchies too; (c) funny people in costumes. You'll see what I mean in a minute; (d) old people who were sucking serious wind, or who looked dangerously close to achieving a stroke, heart attack, and/or both; and (e) the physically challenged (i.e., the handicapped for you older folks).

Re: my picture-taking, it was quite crowded on Bedford, so I did my best to find spots where the sun wouldn't be in my face (when it was out), and where people wouldn't step in my way. It wasn't easy. The good morning light was gone by 11:30. I also learned that it isn't easy to take pictures of moving people. I discovered that you really need to be prepared and anticipate what's coming if you expect to get a halfway decent shot. I had all kinds of focus problems too, because much of the time I was trying to capture a single moving face in a sea of twenty people. I missed several shots because either the runners went by too fast, or my camera autofocused on the wrong person's head, or the trees in the background, instead of on my intended target. Live and learn; next time I'll use manual.

With that out of the way.... on to the pictures.

The Running Division




Here are Paula Radcliffe of England and Gete Wami of Ethiopia, the two women who, 15.4 miles later, finished 1 and 2. What you don't see, and what I didn't realize until it was upon me, is that just before the race leaders run by, something like 20 cops in cars and on motorcycles fly down the course to push onlookers out of the way. The cycles in particular come really close to the edge of the sidewalk, and I nearly got my beak clipped by one of them before I was able to return to my spot, which is why this pic was a bit rushed.



As you can see, Wami was right on her elbow at this point.




Some seriously tired dudes. Only 15 miles left to go, guys!



The Wheel Division

A little 'Burg graffiti mixed in.



I could really use one of these badboys for my commute to work. It has to be faster than the J/M/Z, and it's definitely less crowded than the L train.



This is one of my favorite pics of the day.




Just TRY and stop me, coppahs!




The Costume Division

How the hell does someone run a friggin' marathon in a costume like this? Damn Wookies.



Or this?



Hey, there's Uncle Sam! Where's the Iraq albatross that should be hanging around his neck?




Cross the Zodiac killer, Ted Kaczynski, Bill Rodgers, and Frosty the Snowman, and you get this guy.



Swedish, happy, and undoubtedly, drunk.




Bugs Bunny? That's so 1975.



And last, but not least, The Spectator Division




This one's going to be shopping at Prada in about 16 years, just you watch.



Hipsters with hankies. These two were surprisingly enthusiastic and animated for hipsters. Kudos, ladies.



Another one of my favorites.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job, T. I love the pics!

Jennifer J said...

Those photos are fantastic! I didn't see a lot of those costumes (I was cheering on a friend who ran a 3:40 wearing a black sequined dress, fishnets and red feather boa - superstar costume division, apparently - so I didn't see a lot of the slower pack). I love the one of the kid cheering. And I saw the granny with her crown in the chair division.

JennJ

Tim said...

Sister T. - Thank you!

JJ: A 3:40 in that get-up? That is unbelievable! I think I may have seen that woman. Thanks for the complimentos. I really had a blast watching and taking pictures. I think I'm going to make it a yearly ritual. It sure beats running in the thing...