Friday, February 22, 2008

Synaptic Firings


I don't care if McCain fooled around with a lobbyist, so can we talk about something else, please? I never attended that school that believes that if a political leader fools around, he or she is no longer fit to rule. I just don't buy it. Besides, Vicki Iseman looks just like McCain's wife. He's old, maybe he got confused.

Meat is murder. Ever see one of those hidden journalist stories on slaughterhouses? They're not pretty. Kind of gross to see a pre-cut, furry cow hanging from the ceiling by a hoof. Even grosser to see a meatcutter accidentally slice the wrong part of the cow and have its fecal waste gush all over the place. Saw that video myself a few years ago. I think it was on 20/20. They're supposed to shut the place down, clean everything up, and throw the meat out when that happens. Think they do it? Hmmm, I wonder. Heard they had to recall 134 million pounds of beef last week because an undercover journalist filmed a bunch of slaughterhouse workers torturing, and ultimately using, "downer" cows -- cows that are too weak, diseased, or crippled to move themselves. That's a big no-no. Downers are linked to mad cow disease, E. coli, and other health problemos. I heard that 1/3 of that beef found its way to schools, where some of it had already been ingested by schoolchildren. Oops. I really want to be a vegetarian. I really really do. I just wish I didn't crave a steak every so often.

Fidel's retiring. Good for him. He's had a long run, and I think he's earned himself some R&R. As far as dictators go, he was worse than say, Yugoslavia's Tito, but nowhere near as criminal as Augusto Pinochet or Saddam Hussein or the Shah of Iran, i.e., brutal dictators the United States supported financially and militarily. There is political repression in Cuba. The press is not exactly free and there are plenty of political dissidents who are rotting in jail. Not a perfect country. But then again, neither is ours. A part of me admires a man who, for fifty years, gave the finger to a superpower 90 miles away, defied a cruel and utterly senseless economic embargo by said same superpower, never cashed a single Guantanamo rental check, survived six American Presidents (and counting), as well as a dozen attempts on his life, and pursued a revolutionary ideal, though to an uncompromising fault and at the expense of his own people. One can only wonder what would have happened if fate had taken a different course and Fidel had ended up pitching for the Yankees, or if the U.S. had taken a more forward-thinking and less arrogant approach towards Cuba these past five decades. I'll tell you one thing, if Florida didn't have so many fucking electoral votes, we would've dropped the embargo thirty years ago. I for one am looking forward to my first trip to Cuba in 2011, when President Obama finally ends the idiotic embargo and normalizes relations.

Well, well, they finally shot down that troublesome satellite with a missile. Pretty impressive. What's not so impressive is that this expensive missile defense system we've got requires a carefully calibrated window of time and a stationary target to work properly. That might fly when you're trying to blow up a brainless satellite the size of a bus, but it ain't gonna work too well when the shit hits the fan with China and we need to take out 200 incoming ICBMs. Better warm up that bunker. And where the fuck are the lasers, anyway? Shouldn't we be in Star Wars territory by now?

Roger Clemens is a lying sack of douche. And so's his wife.

I've got Dengue Fever. I heard this song called Sni Bong the other day, and now I can't get it out of my head. It's funky, foreign, and downright sassy. And I don't understand a damn word. I think the lyrics are Cambodian. Anyway, they played at McCarren Pool in Williamsburg last summer and I'm just catching on to them now. That's me, always at least 6 months behind the curve.

My parents finally got broadband Internets and some decent cable movie channels (HBO, Showtime). I'll probably visit them more often now.

Catatonic Lyonnais. That's the name of the California town where Ann Coulter told me that actor James Cromwell was holding my two sisters and my mother, whom he'd kidnapped for ransom in the dream I had last Sunday night. Catatonic Lyonnais. I actually Googled it the next day, just to see if it was an actual place. Shocker: it's not. Aren't some dreams bizarre? I should really lay off the hooch.

Students packing heat. I read a story today about college students who are now carrying concealed weapons to class. They've got permits and all, so apparently it's legal in some states. But I can't help thinking that this isn't a good development. While school shootings are definitely becoming more prevalent, it's not exactly an epidemic. I think it's far more likely that one of these gun-toting yahoos will snap during finals or a weekend keg party.

I'm reading my first Philip Roth book, American Pastoral. How did Mr. Roth escape my attention for 39 years? His sentences make me chartreuse with envy.

7 comments:

ollie1976 said...

I've also recently discovered Philip Roth-pretty good stuff.
-Jen

Anonymous said...

While I am impressed with your usage of the word Chartreuse - I completely disagree with your attitude towards Fidel and Cuba. Why is it that cruel dictators that violate every human right possible, are always seen as "relative" in your mind? In mine, non of them are acceptable.

Maybe you should visit Cuba now? There are ways of going - albeit not legally. But I know many people who have been.

Just be careful not to blog or speak your opinion too loudly while you are there- otherwise you may have the lucky opportunity to experience firsthand how Fidel/Fidel lites jail system for political prisoners really works. I am sure it's super comfy.

The upside, while you are enjoying the hospitality of the Castro bros, and begging the US Embassy to get you out, you can remind yourself that he/they are not as bad as Pinochet, Saddam, or the Shah.

One other travel tip: Before you go, you may want to brush up on your negotiating skills so you can actually eat a piece of fresh fruit after haggling on their notorious black market. With average wages in Cuba being less the 25.00 a month - you should be able to out negotiate all those repressed cubanos in a heartbeat, as I am pretty sure you make a little more than that stateside.

As a matter of fact, with all those greenbacks you make, you could always opt to just stay in one of those 5 star resorts on the beach , cohort with the Europeans who vacation there, and never bother to venture into "real Cuba".

Don't worry though, the guy who hands you your towel poolside, and the woman who cleans you room will still be making their several cents an hour, thanks to your patronage.

Remember... as you implied, it's all relative.

Tim said...

@J - Which one are you reading?

@K - Thaaaaat's a girl. Let it alllll out.

Dictatorships are relative, just like democracy (Hamas was democratically elected, wasn't it? Why aren't we supporting them?). My point was about U.S. hypocrisy, not how great a guy Fidel is. He's a stubborn, proud, short-sighted dictator running a police state. But for 50 years we made the situation in Cuba worse and gave him an "underdog" excuse to oppress the Cuban people. You can thank the embargo for that black market fruit and low wages, by the way. Do you think the human rights situation with China, our major trading partner and largest investor, is better than Cuba? Sistah please! I'll bet you're wearing something right now that's made in China. Hypocrisy. Why? Florida's electoral votes, pure and simple.

But enough about Cuba, that problem will be resolved soon enough. What about the COWS???

Anonymous said...

Well Bro:

I don't believe I said that China was better. Nor did I say anything about the US being non hypocritical.

My point was directly aimed at the fact that you seem to think that there is a sliding scale when it comes to evil dictators throughout the world. While I believe that any ruling enitity that causes the opression and suffering of thier people are bad - across the board. Plain and simple.

Yes, I am aware that sanctions and embargos only hurt everyone BUT the ruling class/government in any nation that we impose them.

However, you seem to be forgetting that Cuba does trade with other countries. So, if Fidel REALLY wanted to elevate the quality of life among his people, he could. But,silly me, you can't be a sucessful dictator unless you keep the majority of your people poor and opressed. Therefore, I am thinking that you can't REALLY put the blame all on us (although I know how much you would like to) There is one person that is soley responsible for the state of modern day cuba - and that would be " a stubborn, proud, short-sighted dictator running a police state." to quote you from above.

If you really think it's all about votes in Florida- I would say you are a bit short sighted. Like, by 90 miles.

Side note: China is working it's way out of the communist opression it has been subjected to for the last 60 something years.

The minimum wage there has been increasing on a yearly basis. A middle class is emerging. Chinese citizens are again allowed to own property and purchase thier own homes- something that hasn't occured since before Mao.

It is only a matter of time before the Chinese begin to form unions and fight for greater civil liberites. ( you know... kinda like another country we are all quite familiar with.)

Am I happy with the human rights abuses in China, especially against women? Absolutely not. But, I do believe they are going in the right direction. By supporting thier economic growth and prosperity, we (the US through our trade) are helping them to build the foundation they need to continue moving forward. Hopefully soon they will achieve the peronal freedoms that all humans on this planet should be entitled to.

What would be your reccomendation? An Embargo? Or maybe we can just send them some downed cows?

SO There!!!!! NOW, I have gotten it all out. ( maybe... unless you want to go another round?)

Tim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim said...

I know you are, but what am I?

(See that comment right above this one? That's where you're headed, missy.)

Anonymous said...

Don't threaten me with post removal - Buckaroo.