Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Bye George


Acerbic, salty, sarcastic, ornery, crotchedy, pessimistic, cynical, clear, ironic, biting, political, antisocial, occasionally vulgar and always, always honest, that was George Carlin. I first saw him on television as a teenager in the 1980s and it was like someone flipped on a lightswitch. Finally someone was telling it like it is. Speaking his mind. What I loved most was how he called out the bullshit, the politicians, the capitalist contradictions, the zealots, the materialists, and the religious hypocrites; he dragged them on stage, held them under the hot glare of a burning spotlight, and revealed them for the frauds they were. The man spoke the truth, and he was funny doing it. Here are a few of my favorite bits:

On Language (My personal favorite):



On Having A Nice Day:



On Stupid Names:



On Death:



R.I.P. George. At least we know you're not sitting up there smiling down on us.

No comments: