Sunday, February 01, 2009

Some Thoughts While Watching the Super Bowl

Well, I've been rooting for the Cardinals because I hate the Steelers, and here we are, well into the fourth quarter, and they're losing by 13. So, let's ride this out with a little bloggy and see if they come back.

I'll be honest, I haven't had much to say lately. I guess I've got writer's block. Or, more accurately, Blogger's Block. I've started several entries but haven't finished them because they've been half-assed and uninspired. Just keepin' it real.

OOOH THE CARDINALS JUST SCORED! About fucking time. Larry Fitzgerald is a stud.

Saw Revolutionary Road a couple of weeks ago. Pretty damn depressing. Good performances though.

Saw The Wrestler a week ago. Pretty damn depressing. Good performances though.

Slumdog Millionaire was good, but too candy-coated for my taste. It was difficult to really feel for the characters when they kept cutting to modern-day every five minutes. I have a feeling most slumdwellers in Mumbai don't have happy endings. Loved the outdoor toilet scene, though. That was the highlight of the movie for me.

If you're in New York and you're hankering for something funny, I highly recommend Sleepwalk With Me, which is playing at the Bleecker Street Theatre. It's a one-man comedy show, just a guy and a stool, produced by Nathan Lane (he's not in it) and starring comedian Mike Birbiglia. I saw it last night, and it was funny as hell.

A Macgruber Pepsi commercial with Richard Dean Anderson (i.e. MacGuyver) in it. Clever. So far, I like the one with the Koala bear getting punched in the head the best. On the whole though, they haven't been very good this year. I mean, even the GoDaddy.com commercial sucked. Usually I at least have those, I mean THAT, to look forward to.

(Football note: ever since I started blogging, the Cardinals have been playing better. Must. Keep. Typing.)

They just cut to Kurt Warner's wife, who's extremely religious, and they showed her with her hands clasped, presumably praying to God that the Cardinals win. I have a feeling that God doesn't give an ethereal shit who wins this game.

I went to Barnes & Noble yesterday and bought a bunch of books. It's always a good feeling when I buy a bunch of books. I feel instantly smarter, more erudite. One of the books I bought is Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell. I've already read 100 pages, and it's fascinating. The gist of the book is that we all have an adaptive unconscious that allows us to make instantaneous judgments and decisions in the blink of an eye. And a lot of the time, those quick judgments, or "thin slicing," are as accurate and reliable as the judgments we take a long time to make, or "thick slicing." So every time we meet someone new, or interview someone, or read something, or take a test, there are all kinds of unconscious things operating in our heads. Sometimes they're reliable, sometimes they're not. The key is learning to tell the difference. I love learning about stuff like this and it validates everything I've been trying to tell people when it comes to dating and relationships. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. And sometimes you can't explain why.

LARRY FUCKING FITZGERALD JUST SCORED AGAIN!!!!!! DAMN WHAT A GAME. WOW. There's 2:37 left.

Okay, I stand corrected. GoDaddy has just presented another commercial rectifying its prior oversight. In other news, Danica Patrick has officially lost all professional credibility.

I think it's pretty cool that Obama invited a bunch of Congresspeople, including Republicans, to watch the Super Bowl with him. So far, he's shown that his call for bipartisanship isn't just a bunch of hot air. He's walking the walk.

DAMNIT. STEELERS DOWN TO THE SEVEN YARDLINE. I HATE THEM. They're either going to win by 4 or 1. Sucks. 43 seconds left.

STEELERS SCORE. GREAT CATCH BY HOLMES. Two years in a row the team I want to win loses. When do pitchers and catchers report?

I don't pretend to understand the ins and outs of in vitro fertilization (no pun intended), but when I hear that a woman recently gave birth to eight babies as a result of IVF, to me, it's a problem. In an overpopulated world, there's no excuse for people pumping out 4 or 6 or 8 kids at a time. It's negligent and completely selfish. Someone needs to regulate this shit. Who's going to feed these kids? Who's going to take care of them? I know who isn't: the mother. The responsiblity will fall to others because no one person can possibly take care of that many kids. And what kind of life are these kids going to have, exactly? An attention-starved one, if you ask me.

Michael Phelps smoked a bong? Now I'm even more impressed with those gold medals. I'm far less impressed, however, with his stupid apology. Stand by your marijuana use, you pansy!

Hamas is declaring "victory" in Gaza? That's like stepping barefoot into a pile of dogshit and saying that it smells great.

No comments: