Friday, October 13, 2006

Now Playing

Current events got you down?

Depressed about all the negativity that surrounds you?

Superstitious about Friday the 13th?

Tired of tasteless blog entries from yours truly?

Then Dear Reader, let me clue you in to a few new musical finds of mine to take your troubles away on this beautiful Friday:

"Talk Amongst Yourselves" by Grand National

Very cool song, can't stop listening to it. The entire album from this British band is pretty good and highly recommended. Also check out "Peanut Dreams" and "Drink to Moving On."

"Catch Me I'm Falling" by Real Life

This song sounds a lot like something from Flock of Seagulls, but it comes to you from the same Australian New Wave band that brought you "Send Me An Angel," a classic song from the 80s. I really love this song -- perfect for putting on your iPod when you're walking out the door for your daily commute. Optimistic and happy -- the exact opposite of my typical mood in the morning.

"New Gold Dream 81-82-83-84" by Simple Minds

No, they don't just sing the "Breakfast Club" song. This song is ethereal and uplifting in a strange way. I really like it.

"Victim of Illusion" by The Michael Schenker Group

Awesome song from this former Scorpions guitarist, which gets the blood going. Good to work out to, or if you just need to wake up in your office at 4 pm. This song sounds like one of those classic rock songs from the 70s.

"Can't Tame the Lion" by Journey

I'm a big Journey fan. Steve Perry too. I thought I had heard every decent Journey song, but I discovered this one on Pandora and will now add it to my iPod library.

"Dawn Over A New World" by Dragonforce

Okay, if you're still with me, this one's a bit of an experiment. Dragonforce is a British power metal band, but this song sounds nothing like power metal. If you're like me, and you're into melodramatic, slightly cheesy power ballads (see "Alone Again" by Dokken and "Still Loving You" by the Scorpions), you may like this one. It sounds a little like it could have come from the band Asia, which is why I think Pandora picked it for me.

All of these songs are now playing on mind-ambition radio. Try them out, I think you will likey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok... I am with you on the Journey. Spent much time in the 1977 Red Caddy my Grandfather gave me for my 16th birthday rockin out to Don't Stop Believing and singing Open Arms at the top of my lungs.(Actually for many years Open Arms was my favorite song - later to be replaced by a song to cheesy to mention here)

BUT... can you please let go of the obsession with Asia - just a smidge? Maybe you could try to not mention the band Asia (the continent is ok) for.. say.. a month or so?

Thanks!
K.

Tim said...

Open Arms is kind of a downer. I go for their more uplifting tunes. Only the Young is another goodie. And I downloaded Stone in Love today.

Lay off my Asia fetish.