Sunday, February 04, 2007

We Are (Not) The Champions


I am a bit OCD about reading the New York Sunday Times. It's quite troubling. When I take it in my hands, feel its heft and girth, something comes over me and I feel compelled to read it in its entirety, page by page. Sometimes the situation gets so bad that I can't do anything else until I'm done reading the whole thing. If someone calls me in the middle of my 2.5 hour binge, I get seriously annoyed. Maybe I'm in the middle of the City section reading a little ditty about an old lady who's had two cats as roommates on the Upper West Side for the past 50 years. Or perhaps a story about a nutty miscreant in the East Village who is terrorizing people because he likes jelly donuts. One of my favorite sections happens to be "Modern Love," which contains anecdotes about life and love in 21st Century New York as told by one of my fellow inhabitants. If I get a call in the middle of my Times Trance, I start hopping around like Bugs Bunny over buried gold and my left eye starts twitching. Pity the fool who calls me on a Sunday afternoon and incurs my wrath.

Yes, there is something wrong with me. But if I do not adhere to the calling, I will be left with the nagging sensation that I missed something important, perhaps a story or piece of information that could change my life. Melodramatic you say? Pisshaw!

The upside is that the NYST is a font of inspiration, and there is always something in there that spurs a motivation in me, a blog entry, or the kernel of an idea for future exposition. Today, I came across a story that I found both timely and interesting on this, the Holy Day of Our Super Bowl. Sometime, around 9:30 p.m. tonight, one of the two football teams playing in the Game of Games is going to win. Trust me, it's true. When that happens, an enterprising fellow or feline is going to run out onto the field carrying t-shirts and hats emblazoned with either "Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl Champions" or "Chicago Bears Super Bowl Champions."

We, the viewers and fans, take for granted that Peyton Manning or Brian Urlacher will be wearing a champagne stained version of one of the above this evening. But what of the loser hats and shirts? You see, the NFL has to make both versions, one for the winners, one for the losers. No one knows who is going to win the big game after all, and commercial bets must be covered. What happens to all that useless garb that says "[LOSING TEAM] Super Bowl Champions"?

I always assumed it was thrown away or perhaps torched in a ritualistic bonfire in the parking lot after the game, along with a sacrificial virgin. No, no, no mon frere. According to the NYST, the NFL gives the loser vestments to charity, specifically, to World Vision, a great organization that provides clothing, health care, and food aid to impoverished children and families all over the world. This is why there may come a day when you're watching a Sally Struthers commercial or a 60 Minutes expose on governmental graft in Africa, and all of a sudden you catch view of a young child in Uganda or Nigeria standing in the background, proudly donning a Buffalo Bills 1993 Super Bowl Champions t-shirt or a Seattle Seahawks 2006 Super Bowl Champions hat. (Another thing I have wondered is why the fuck I keep seeing pictures of young kids wearing New York Yankees caps in remote outposts like Namibia, Nepal, and Burma. Before reading this story, it drove me to fits of paranoia -- "Y-Y-Yankee fans.... T-T-They're everywhere!!!") Obviously, these kids know nothing about the Super Bowl, much less who won or lost, so they don't care what's on their clothes. They're probably just glad to have them; they couldn't care less if what they're wearing fails to comport with historical fact.

And therein lies the sad part of the story. As usual, the poor of the world are left with the crumbs off the world's dinner table. They're an afterthought. "Here, don't spend it all in one place. After all, what else were you going to wear? Be happy with what we're giving you, assholes. The historically accurate hats and t-shirts are for US, for OUR stores, OUR people, the righteous and just, the fortunate. Take the loser shit and be happy. You don't have a t.v. anyway."

This is not to denigrate the NFL or World Vision, of course. They are both wonderful organizations and should be commended for doing more than most of us do. At least they're doing something. But what of the moneybag corporations who are spending all that cashola on commercials tonight? How many millions and gajillions of dollars did they spend this year alone? What are THEY doing? Couldn't they pop a couple of bucks to get these poor kids some accurate clothing, or better yet, some food and health care? Just once, I would like to see an ad that says simply: "The money we spent on this ad was donated to X Charity or Y country." That would be impressive. If Tampax put an ad out like that, I would run out and buy myself a box of tampons, I swear.

Until that special day arrives, I suppose it is somehow fitting that the world's "losers," the poor, the dispossessed, are left to wear the unwanted never-to-be-seen-again-except-by-accident apparel of the losers on the world's biggest (second biggest if you count the World Cup) and most expensive stage -- the Super Bowl.

P.S. HAPPY B-DAY, SISTER T.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! I'm getting up there!

Arlo said...

You know, the really sick thing is not just that the poor are wearing the "loser" shirt, but how little a poor starving kid would even care that they were wearing it. Like the name of the team makes a difference. The kid would rather wear what he or she can get. It just shows how completely irrelevant the Super Bowl really is in the grand scheme of things. I think that's an even greater mockery of how commercialized and superficial we can be as a culture.

Anonymous said...

Arlo - Brother T. didn't forget my birthday, after all. There was a message waiting on my home phone when I got home this morning, and I got mentioned in his blog! How many times did I whine yesterday that Brother T. forgot my b-day???